Desmond Blair, a Dallas-based artist is a problem solver and has been ever since childhood. Blair was born without fingers. Through navigating learning how to write without hands in school, Desmond discovered a love for art and animation. It was this love for animation and animated storytelling that inspired Blair to expand his artistic talents. Blair’s tenacity, determination, and drive empowered him to graduate from high school at the age of 16. Blair later earned his undergraduate degree from University of Texas at Dallas where he honed his traditional abilities and transferred them to digital media focusing on animation and computer graphics. Blair later returned to UTD where he received his MFA in Art and Technology with a concentration on the development of computer graphics and the study/analysis of emerging media trends. He now uses his art to encourage others, promote limb difference awareness and raise money for charities in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Desmond hopes to one day use his art to launch a scholarship fund that will assist graduating seniors born with limb differences in the pursuit of their academic goals. (Courtesy of the Artist)
Julia Abdara, born in West Africa, raised in Brooklyn, Abara paints timeless images of her childhood, daily life, nostalgia and moments past and present that reimagine the ingrained stereotypical narratives of Black culture. In an effort to paint her subjects in ways perhaps not often seen in the media, there is an incredibly relatable and heartfelt sentiment that is felt in each of her compositions. The simplicity of her work is overshadowed by the delicacy of each stroke, the starkness of the hue in each background her figures encompass and the openness of her content.
June 1, 2019 - July 14, 2019
July 22, 2019 - September 14, 2019
September 23 - November 12, 2019
November 18 - January 24, 2019
February 1 - 22, 2020
March 7 - June 7, 2020
June 8 - August 8, 2020
October 24 - December 19, 2020
December 28 - February 12, 2021
February 27 - April 9, 2021
April 24 - June 18, 2021
June 19 - June 25, 2021
July 17 - August 6, 2021
August 15 - October 15, 2021
We have made a few changes in how we operate at P.O.P. Gallery. Each class will be reduced in size to allow us to socially distance easier. In addition to this, we will be doing the following below to create the best and safest experience for everyone:
1. We are practicing social distancing (so please stay at least six feet apart from other patrons.)
2. We are wearing masks and ask that you and your children wear them during your time at the gallery. Masks should be worn at all times.
3. We are cleaning high-touch surfaces in accordance with the CDC's guidelines.
4. We ask that you come right at your drop-off and pick-up times so that the high traffic areas in the gallery will be kept clear during transitions. Parents, we ask that you wait in cars instead of our parent waiting room this Fall. We apologize for the inconvenience!
5. We have contact free payment options available, so you can pay for p.o.p. merch, artwork, and/or classes touch-free. (Venmo/PayPal/CashApp/Online)
6. We will have a hand sanitizing station at the doorway to the gallery, along with one in the kitchen area and in the back studio.
7. We will have a COVID-19 risk and liability waiver for parents to sign on the first day upon drop-off.
8. We will be performing no contact temperature checks for all children coming in for class. If your child is experiencing symptoms please do not bring them to the gallery. If your child or family members have recently vacationed in high-risk/exposed areas, or if family members are not well, please consider the risk you are placing our patrons, and other children before entering the gallery.
9. We have updated our gallery hours and are operating by appointment only on most days in the week. Please scroll all the way down to see revised gallery hours.
10. Finally, students will have their own supplies to keep up with! We will not be sharing materials in classes this Fall.
This will be a new way to take classes with us at P.O.P. Gallery, and now more than ever, we're committed to giving you and your children the highest level of service that you have come to expect from us!
We are excited that you have chosen us to deliver quality art programming for you and your sweet kiddos.
We thank you for your continued support!
Click the link below to learn more about our city and the protocols in place for small businesses in our Farmers Branch location.
Abstract artist, Dr. Valerie Gillespie uses color theory and texture to present moments in time. Remnants of the past contrast with expectations of the future in each composition, as images battle within the same space for recognition of their truth. Read more about Valerie on our "Meet the Owners" page!
Emmanuel Gillespie presents images of water with mixed media imagery. His large-scale work is based on the concept of water as it holds memories and the relationship between those we encounter from our past. Read more about Emmanuel on our "Meet the Owners" page!
GALLERY FALL HOURS
(Starting in September)
Tuesday By Appointment Only
Wednesday By Appointment Only
Thursday By Appointment Only
Friday 5:00pm - 7:00pm
Saturday 11:00pm - 5:00pm
Sunday 11:00pm - 2:00pm
14466 Midway Rd., Farmers Branch, TX 75244
One of our favorite short films... Happy New School Year, friends!